Tuesday, August 11, 2009

My Newest Venture

For those of you who have the privilege of knowing me well, you know that I am somewhat fickle. With fickleness comes new fads, trends, ideas, addictions, etc. Here's my latest idea: I will attempt to run in a mini-marathon (10K or 6.2 mi.).......in 12 days. I know what some of you are thinking, "You?! In a marathon? I didn't even know you ran. And for goodness sake, how on earth can you possibly be in shape to run a marathon? After all, you don't exercise and every time I see you you have a Dr. Pepper in your hand!" To answer your questions:
-I used to run (it's been 2 years since I've ran and about 11 years since I've ran more than 1 mi. at a time).
-Am I in shape? Absolutely not.
-And yes, I do have a Dr. Pepper in my hands at all times.
So, to see just how out of shape I was I decided to go for a little run this evening. At 1 mi. I had been running for 11:47. It seemed to pass by pretty quickly. At mile two my time was 21:46. I felt pretty good and could have continued, but had some serious rawness on each of my ankles. I later discovered that they were bleeding (I decided not to take pictures for those of you who have week stomachs)-it's a good thing I ordered some actual running shoes today, which I can't wait to get in. I'm going to continue to run every other day and see how much progress I can make by August 22nd. I'm supposed to go on a 5 mile run this Saturday with a girlfriend of mine (the one who inspired me to give this a try) who's a workout Nazi and runs in marathons every few months. I'll let you all know how that goes......if I'm still alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment